There's plenty to consider when developing, repairing, or maintaining your professional doctor reputation, but the basics aren't that complicated. Stick to these essential rules to develop a strong professional reputation online.
- Research your online reputation: First and foremost, you should know what others see when they search for you and be able to identify areas where you need to improve your reputation.
- Get there first: In a sea of online professionals -- many of whom may share your name -- establishing your online reputation may be as simple as just claiming profiles, domains, and other properties before anyone else gets a chance to.
- Be on your best behavior: You're a professional, act like one both online and offline. Make sure your social profiles reflect a professional personality and avoid getting into trouble -- especially any trouble that could follow you online, like mug shots or bad reviews.
- Stay active online: Whether you're engaging in conversations on social media, creating communities, or speaking as an authority, being active online can help you develop a reputation as a professional and outrank any negative entries you may have.
- Use your real name: Whatever you do when you're active online, make sure you're using your real name so that your activity will show up in professional search results.
- Create a showcase: Develop a portfolio or link to important content so that others can easily find your best work, professional associations, anything else that can support your good name as a professional.
Don't wait to build your professional online reputation. Start today to protect your reputation, and it will support your great career tomorrow.